Friday, July 9, 2010

Your 'Gaming Bag'...


Recently, I became a father. By 'recently' I mean just this past Tuesday. And by 'father' I mean I now have a baby human child to take care of. (This may seem obvious to our most loyal readers, but my mom would have read "recently I became a father" and interpreted it in a way that suggests I have joined the Catholic faith and have become a man of the cloth. I just wanted to clear that up).
Anyway, those of you that have children know that it changes your life in all kinds of ways. As a stay-at-home dad, I see this as an opportunity to get a lot of painting done, but there is another hidden bonus of fatherhood...

Let's back up a bit. I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I have a 'gaming bag.' This is a shoulder bag that I use to bring all of my books, dice, templates and other accouterments with me when I play in a tournament, friend's house, games store or soup kitchen. It's handy, and it has the level of functionality that I need from it.

Let's fast-forward slightly, to a time when I already procured my gaming bag, but had not yet become a dad. The wife-person and I had a baby shower. For most of you gamers out there, I will define: "Baby shower" is a party where people get you gifts related to the baby, i.e. diapers, bottles, clothes and other stuff that baby needs.

A good friend of mine purchased us one of the most essential items-- a diaper bag. It's a shoulder-bag type of thing that stocks an array of diapers, wipes, powders, lotions and anything else needed to clean up baby shit. But my friend was smart. She knew I didn't want to walk around in public with a bag that had kitties or bunnies or other cute crap on it. Probably because she feared for my safety. In my city, you'd get your skull caved in if you walked around with one of those.
So she bought me a diaper bag from a company called "Diaper Dude." Now dad can carry all the essentials and support baby's needs, without looking like a diaper-douche. This company makes diaper bags with camo patterns, dragons, skulls and other scary iconography that would scare certain minorities into submission.

It's basically a shoulder bag with a comfortable strap, large inner pouch with other internal pockets, exterior compartments that look like they can also hold 30-round 7.62mm magazines, and even has a pacifier clippy/ grenade lug on the outside.
And I got to thinking... this bag is way cooler than my current gaming bag!

So when my daughter finally learns to use the potty and stop shitting herself like Grandpa does, I'm commandeering this bag for myself. I can stash my rulebooks, my dice, any glue or modeling tools, my flask of scotch, tape measure and all those templates I need right inside my bag adorned with skulls on it.

If Diaper Dude made a bag with a huge Chaos star on the outside, I'd own 4 of those!

What do YOU use for your 'gaming bag?'

1 comment:

  1. I use my old CVC helment bag I got in the army many moons ago. It has traveled with me around the world and to many games.

    ReplyDelete